Search This Blog

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Scrapbooking Tutorial #7 Oops - Ways to Fix Mistakes on Scrapbook Layouts

Scrapbooking Tutorial #7 Oops - Ways to Fix Mistakes on Scrapbook Layouts
Oops! Oops! Oops!!! Hi!  I'm Jennifer Neumann and
I love traditional scrapbooking, but sometimes, I wish it
came with an undo button! Scrapbooking is the best way to capture memories and make them last a lifetime But how do you get started
without spending a fortune? Pages for the Ages is here to help you out! Scrapbooking is a great way to preserve our favorite photos and memories, but let's face it - Traditional scrapbooking is not a hobby
for the perfectionist. When we're working with our hands and raw materials such as
paper and scissors, sometimes things will go wrong. What are we to do with these
little blemishes on our scrapbook pages? I suggest, rather than throwing out your entire layout and having to start over with new materials and extra time that you should work with
what you have. Um, in today's tutorial I'm
going to cover 3 situations where there was a small blemish
on my page and talk about how I tried to
fix that blemish as best I could.

What should you do if you
have a stray mark on your page? Here is a live example
of that problem. I've been working on this page
for my little sister. Here we have a photo of us when we were younger in Mexico and on this page I've
been trying to bring out a lot of colors such as
red and green which are on the Mexican flag. The last touch I had to
do on this page...

Before it was complete was to write the word "Sisters" down here and the Spanish word for
"sisters" at the top - Hermanas. Well, I was just about complete
with this project when SOMEONE who shall remain
nameless, bumped my arm and caused me to create
this stray mark. So, I'm going to bring you closer and we're going to examine the damage. Now, what can I do to
fix this problem? Here are two suggestions.

Number one, you could add
an additional layer on top... Of the word "Hermanas"
and just start anew. So, I've used the tearing technique a lot on this page and
I would find a complementing color such as this pastel orange
which brings out the orange here and I would put this on top. Now, this fix would take
a little bit of time because I like symmetry and I
would want to do the same thing for the word sisters down here.

Another option is to
get the matching paper and put pretty much a
Band-Aid on there. Now, I am fortunate enough to have a piece of that
yellow and white speckled paper which I used for the
picture frame. So, I'm going to add
another layer of this to cover up the mistake. Now, if I decide to add
a HUGE rectangle on top of the word Hermanas and
start over, that's fine.

However, the bigger the piece
you use, the more distinct the lines will be
for that new layer. So, with that in mind
I figure, use the smallest piece possible to
cover up your mistake. So, to do that, I'm
just going to put down 1 piece of adhesive and cut out a very small block just to cover the stray mark. So, no matter what, it will be visible that
there was a mistake, but we move on and we
fix it as best we can.

What can you do when you've
made a mistake cropping your photo? Now, many of you out there
probably use the Creative Memories Custom Cutting System. If you don't,
I recommend it. It's a basic tool
every Scrapbooker should have. The Creative Memories Cutting System...

Is basically, a series of shapes. You can get circles, ovals
uh... Hearts, anything you want and you buy the Creative Memories blade which fits into the shape and then allows you to cut
photos and paper into those shapes. Now, one of the biggest mistakes that I make with this system is I will not have the peg correctly inserted into the shape.

If you only have one peg
in the shape, this is what happens. I now have a HUUUUGE gash
on my photo rather than the nice cut line and it's not even on the right
place for the circle. So, how do I deal with this problem? There are basically two ways. Either, number one, I can try to re-crop the photo or number two, I can try to
cover up my mistake.

So, if I'm going to re-crop the photo there are a couple of options. I can set this shape
back down maybe in a new position and
try cutting it - making sure that I
don't make the same mistaske. And....It looks like
that would be possible in this situation. I've just moved the shape
slightly over.

Or, I happen to be
using the blue blade which cuts furthest from
the shape so I. Could use a different colored blade such as the red one
which will cut, um, closest to the shape. It may not be the
circle I desired, but it will cover up the mistake
that I made. Let's say that you've
cropped your photo in such a way that
it was unavoidable getting rid of this gash.

Well, you can always try
to cover up that mistake. For instance, here I've added
a nice background piece of paper and
a paper photo mat and on top of that gash I'm just going to add
this beautiful paper flower. Paper embellishments or stickers would be good ways to
cover up that mistake. It's not detracting
from the photo, but in fact, it's actually
adding a little bit of color.

Um, another idea is rather than making your photo
the top layer, make it the bottom layer. Instead of having this gash
be on top, I'm going to add a
picture frame and cover that up. That last "oops" sitatuion
we're going to talk about deals with journaling. Now, writing down your experiences is a great way to communicate
to future generations what inspired you to
make your scrapbook pages.

Unfortunately, a lot of errors can occur when
journaling by hand. A lot of these mistakes can be avoided by
simply planning ahead of time and writing a rough draft. Seasoned scrapbookers
such as myself tend to skip this step. We think that we can
get it perfect on the 1st try.

Well, that hasn't always
worked out in my favor and as a result, I've ended up spending MORE time
trying to fix the problem. So, the lesson is planning goes a long way
especially with journaling! You are looking at my premade scrapbook page
called "Proposal" which you can find
at my online shop: Pages4theages.Artfire.Com . On this page we have a
beautiful diamond ring and on that ring is a
little journaling tag. It's supposed to be
like a price tag on the ring and there's a place for you to write the date, location, and how your proposal happened.

So, on this tag I've purposefully written
in different thicknesses and I've not had very
even lettering. So, what would I do
if I wanted to fix this. Honestly, the best situation
at this point would be to just
replace the jounraling tag with a new one. Now, if I didn't have the materials to cover this up and
add a new journaling tag, here is another idea.

Here you can see I've created a whole new look on this tag by
using a technique I call... Ransome Note Writing. Basically, all you have to do is write down the words
that you intend to use... For your jounraling
on different sheets of paper.

So, if the sentences was: "Jake popped the question..." - Every other word would
go on the different sheets of paper. Then, you cut out those
little strips and you simply paste them down. So, with this method I've covered up my mistakes and added a lot of
dimension to my journaling tag. Thanks for joining us for another Pages for the Ages Tutorial! We look forward to seeing you every Tuesday! (Music).

No comments:

Post a Comment